Shipwreck on Mile 107, probably the steam schooner Fifield from 1916.Pam Smith reports finding a portion of the wooden hull of an old ship at the mouth of Cut Creek on her adopted Mile 107, Whiskey Run Beach. Planks of the hull were held in place by large wooden pegs.
Photo ©2006 Diane and Dave Bilderback.
Wooden peg in plank. Photo ©2006 Diane and Dave Bilderback.It may be the wreck of the 174-foot, 634-ton steam schooner, Fifield. The ship tried to cross the bar of the Coquille River on February 22, 1916, but its propeller struck a rock, then a wave pushed the ship sideways onto the jetty, and the 22 crewmen and four passengers were able to abandon ship safely. Residents salvaged the cargo of lumber as it washed ashore.
Contact: Dave Bilderback, Coos County Co-Coordinator, (541) 347-1335