Suggested Items to Take on the Beach
|• Windbreaker, raincoat and gloves: For quickly changing weather on the beach! It is cooler and windier at the surf’s edge. |
• Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen: For intense UV and glare on the beach.
• Snacks and water: For when you are out on the beach longer than anticipated.
• Digital camera, small waterproof notebook, pen and a copy of the CoastWatch Observation Checklist: For photographing and noting your observations and interesting finds for filing your online CoastWatch Report.
• Plastic grocery bags: For collecting beach treasures or removing beach garbage.
• Two large trash sacks per person: Large, sturdy, light weight, compact bags for keeping feet dry when crossing a creek.
• Binoculars: For observing wildlife without disturbing them.
• Cell phone: For emergencies and rapid reporting of a find or incident.
• Whistle: For signaling others on the beach. Human voice does not carry very far against the wind and surf.
• Flexible measuring tape: To determine dimensions of biological and man-made items washed upon the beach. A plastic coated sewing tape works well and is light.
• GPS: (if available), to determine a location on the beach and find mile boundaries.
• Small flashlight: For better viewing of animals under rocky overhangs and when out on the beach after dark.